The United Presbyterian Church of Middletown NY in ministry with Interim Pastor Jack Lohr

Friday, May 22, 2009

Daily Carnage

Last fall, I mentioned the daily carnage I see as I jog the country roads in Wallkill and Wawayanda. It's part of the price we pay for living in the country and driving fast.

Today I saw a tiny olive-yellow warbler, a chipmunk, and a fat woodchuck that appeared to be sleeping by the roadside except for the flies that were gathered around the carcass. It recalled the perfectly-composed mink that I photographed earlier this spring.
I wonder does this "road-kill" matter to God? Are the wild animals entitled to respect or perhaps even reverence? If we believe the Bible we must affirm the value of their lives. Jesus says God is mindful even of the fall of a half-penny sparrow.

Just for today, I'll slow down a bit as I drive these roads. How about you?

--Jack Lohr, Interim Pastor